Japan Travel Information (passports, visas, safety):
Government of Japan Travel Information:
Per Diem in Japan: http://aoprals.state.gov/web920/per_diem.asp
Time Zone: Japan has one time zone, Japan Standard Time, and does not follow daylight savings time. During the period between the last Sunday in October and the First Sunday of April, Japan is 14 hours ahead of EDT. During the other half of the year, Japan is 13 hours ahead of EST.
Transit in the Tokyo Area
- New Tokyo International (Narita) Airport : Narita airport is about 1.5 hours from downtown Tokyo. Tokyo International Airport: http://www.narita-airport.or.jp/airport_e/
- Disembarkation Form and Immigration: Travelers will receive a disembarkation form during flights to Japan. Follow the signs to Immigration Control where passports and disembarkation forms are examined.
- Baggage Claim and Customs: After clearing immigration control, follow the stairs down to the baggage claim area. Flight numbers are displayed above the claim area where your baggage will appear. Luggage carts are provided free of charge. After picking up baggage, proceed to the customs check.
- Tourist Information Center: Free tourist information centers operated by the Japanese National Tourist Organization (JNTO) for the benefit of foreign visitors. Pick up English maps for major tourist destinations, up-to-date local festival list, and information on lodging and places to visit. TIC is located on the arrival floor of each airport terminal.
Getting from the airport to your hotel:
- Bus (recommended) The "Friendly Airport Limousine" bus fare between Narita airport and Tokyo Station, the ANA hotel or the Okura hotel costs 3,000 Yen. http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/e/
- The bus counter is located in the main arrival terminal, just across from the exit from customs.
- Taxi -A taxi from the airport into Tokyo costs 20,000 yen.
- Rental car - Renting a car is expensive but possible. In Japan, driving is on the left side of the road, and although there are many signs with some English, they are usually only on the highways. International drivers' licenses are required. Costs for a rental car are approximately 10,000 yen\ per day, gas (currently about $4/gal), and insurance.